Friday, August 05, 2005

Something is making me do it

I'm due to give a presentation at the inaugural Australian Game Programming in Schools Conference.

Initially I decided to present on Game Design Tools since I have worked quite hard on that this year and in previous years too. And I think I have developed some useful game design teaching materials.

But today I've suggested a topic change to something like:
Something is making me do it: A reflection on 3.5 years of teaching Game Making

That idea just popped into my head this morning and has stayed there throughout the day, as a far better topic.

The truth is that I've stumbled into teaching game making primarily due to forces outside of myself which pulled me in directions far more strongly than I anticipated. It's as though I've accidentally immigrated to the wrong county. I wanted to visit Game country but settle in Web application land. But the visit to Game Land has turned out to be a lengthy stay and here I am now getting in deeper and deeper, giving presentations at Conferences.

So I want to tell the story of the forces that got me this far. I want to identify more clearly the something, or somethings, that are making me do it. I see it very much as a dynamic equilibrium, that I'm being blown in the wind. I still want to go somewhere else - python, zope3, web development - but I keep getting dragged back into various aspects of Game Making and even Game Playing. It has been surprising.

It will be more interesting than talking about game design tools.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wara said...

Mein Gott
The man is possessed!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Bill Kerr said...

hi wara,

Many a true word spoken in jest :-)

There are a lot of pieces making up the mosaic. My plan is to blog the bits and later pull the threads together.

I'm trying to think of a good visual to match, something like being sucked into a worm hole into a new Universe on the "other side"?

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can identify with your feelings, Bill.

I have been following GM since version 4.3 on a casual basis. End of last year, a thought flashed into my mind to share this with 10yr olds onwards. I decided it be my New Year resolution for 2006 even though i didn't know how to go about doing it.

Faith, God maybe, I don't know. I moved step by step and it seemed that the path ahead was being cleared for me to follow. In April, I taught some children and recently they produced their own simple game.

I was enthralled and now another path seems to be opening to share this knowledge with more children.

I am in the midst of planning a structured framework for next year. Gosh I am not even being paid for all this. Yes it seems like there is a greater force at play.

Philip V from Singapore

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home