Monday, April 25, 2005

flowboards and Cmap

A flowboard is a flowchart combined with a storyboard.

I'm using flowboards for game design because they encourage a non linear approach. Good games branch.

I found out about flowboards and game play modes through an article by Ernest Adams at Gamasutra, Designer's Notebook: Designing with Gameplay Modes and Flowboards. To follow that link you need to sign up at Gamasutra, but it's free.

The graphic is not quite a flowboard. It's a flow chart that also shows game play modes, in red. Click on the graphic to see my larger version at my flickr account.

To turn it into a flowboard you would also need to show annotated pictures of at least the main game rooms: welcome, configure, gameplay and celebration.

I've made this in Cmap, which is free concept mapping software available from The Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice graphic Bill, must have a go at using CMAP too one day. Does the software let you adjust text box positions etc?

9:43 PM  
Blogger Bill Kerr said...

hi roland,

using new software for the first time is always slow for me - but once I got used to it the only disappointment I had with Cmap was that it only had 3 shapes to choose from - it didn't have a diamond, which is the standard for representing a selection or if statement - that's why I've put the [play again?] choice in a circle (diamond not available)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home