Saturday, April 23, 2005

web 2.0

I came across the expression web 2.0 today and then investigated what it meant.

Richard MacManus, who blogs the Read/Write Web from Wellington, New Zealand, has a definition, The Web as Platform

He elaborates as follows:
For corporate people, the Web is a platform for business. For marketers, the Web is a platform for communications. For journalists, the Web is a platform for new media. For geeks, the Web is a platform for software development. And so on.


But I didn't really get it until I followed Richard's very comprehensive links to the source. They were amazing, particularly the information about google, I'll save that for a separate post.

What they are really getting at is that the Web as platform for users and developers is now in the process of replacing the still dominant platform of the desktop PC. I touched briefly on this in an earlier quote from Paul Graham in a blog about programming languages.

I think a phrase like, from desktop to webtop, says it better because it gives the feel of the new replacing the old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home