Saturday, January 21, 2006

snowflake collage

Leigh Blackall suggested that it was a good idea to use picasa for basic image editing. His argument was that you could do a fair bit of image manipulation quickly in picasa, whereas GIMP and Photoshop, while very powerful, take a lot of learning.

So I checked out picasa tonight and ended up making some collages.

There is an "official" informative overview of picasa features here.

It does have a variety of basic fixes, tuning, effects and fun features but it doesn't seem to have some of the basic features I want for web site development, such as ability to:
  • resize images
  • set resolution to 72px/inch
I think its more designed for a photographer than a web site developer. Still want to use it though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leigh Blackall said...

Hi Bill, good to see you giving it a whirl.

You can resize images by editing them, then exporting them. An export settings window pops up. Its important to know that the changes you make to a picture are not set until you export the picture. I learned this the hard way when I had edited hundreds of pictures, then backed up the "my pictures" folder, losing all the edit history data. Now, I always export and upload to Flickr.

Here's a link to that youth class I took where we used Picasa as an intro to digital image editing, later upgrading to GIMP.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Bill Kerr said...

thanks leigh,

I uploaded my cairns holiday photos into picasa and exported them to my hard drive - by default it converted them to 800px - so I had to be careful not to lose my high res originals

I then found a tool on flickr that allowed me to upload the whole 60 photos with one drag and drop action

I knew to look for this because when researching picasa someone mentioned a similar sort of tool - it saved me a lot of time

I'll use picasa with my students this year and learn more about it as I go along

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to jump in here -- I googled "snowflake photo collage" and one of the hits was your page ... so here I am. Anyway, would Picasa be a good tool to use to make a photo collage overlayed on a snowflake (i.e. this is for an office holiday card)

Kate Zimmer
US
kgordon3@roadrunner.com

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home