Monday, February 21, 2005

feedback

received some interesting face mail today about my new blog, I'm attempting to communicate this without identifying anyone in particular, to protect the innocent

one person attempted to setup their own blog to share the experience - because I "hadn't explained what a blog was", but couldn't get past the user name screen - my guess of the problem there was that in cyber land widget is not an obscure name for a cat but actually a software object (short for windows gadget), so I suggested trying widget2741, at any rate my students have figured out that its cool to add meaningless numbers to their user names

and blog stands for web log, which I used to think of as weird people who shared their diaries in public, until I became one - believe me, there is more to it than that - btw blog was the number one word in new words for the on line merriam-webster dictionary in 2004

Blog noun [short for Weblog] (1999) : a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer

someone else had heard on the news this morning that bloggers had brought down someone at CNN, that's true, it was Eason Jordan and it's not the first time that bloggers have taken on the Established Media and won

there was other talk along the lines of "what the hell are you blogging about, where's the translation for connectivism, spiders and blogdex, which planet do you live on", mmm ... maybe I have been plugged into virtual reality for too long :-)

also some discussion about the connection between marxism and open source software, which to my huge surprise also made it onto the SINA list today, with the normal jokes about Groucho and John Lennon that are always trotted out

finally another SA teacher is blogging at http://pgardens.blogspot.com/ but I'm not sure at this stage whether it's a short lived experiment or destined for a longer life

I reckon this blogging thing could catch on, there is a lot of interest there and it shouldn't take too long to explain the basics to those who want to give it a shot

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

The definition of "Blog" has helped to clarify things. I must say it has got me interested. What unusual high order thinking statement is he going to come up with next:)

I'm sure were going to discuss it more at work tomorrow.

cheers

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home