Tuesday, March 15, 2005

monkey variations


illusion


I've spent a few hours putting a picture of a monkey through GIMP filters and scripts and then putting the final images into a webpage called monkey variations. The webpage includes three animations, which are also easy to do with GIMP. They take a while to load so you need to be patient.

This shows the power of GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), which is an open source package.

I've prepared a worksheet about how to do this - both the GIMP manipulations and the styling of the webpage - and am happy to share it with anyone who asks.

Wara blogged last year about the idea of exposing students to free software first, that first impressions are important. Admittedly, the GIMP user interface is clunky compared to PhotoShop but what is under the hood is comparable, which is a great achievement given that GIMP is free and can be given to students to take home.

With respect to the filters and scripts I've heard that GIMP has more to offer because a variety of developers are happy to give something back to the community.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bill,
I am a NSW teacher. I have been encouraging my students with GIMP and actually have a number who prefer GIMP to photoshop. I love the program myself. I must admit that most of the time I still use photoshop but GIMP is a brilliant program. Don't forget that it is able to use most of the photoshop plugins.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Bill Kerr said...

nice to get a comment from NSW, thanks

I didn't realise that photoshop plugins could be used with GIMP, plugins seems to be the area where GIMP has the advantage over photoshop

I learnt GIMP before photoshop and still prefer to use it more, so the point that wara makes about you tend to stick with what you learn first is true for me (I only learnt photoshop to help my daughter who is doing a visual arts course at TAFE, which requires it)

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home